St Mary’s Collegiate Church dominates the overall view of the centre of Warwick with its imposing tower, rebuilt along with much of the church in 1704 by Sir William Wilson after the Great Fire of Warwick. There has been a church on the site since Saxon times, but the Saxon church was rebuilt by Roger de Newburgh in 1123.

However, the magnificent mediaeval Beauchamp Chapel escaped the devastating fire of 1694 and houses the tombs of past Earls of Warwick including Richard Beauchamp’s tomb described in Simon Jenkin’s book ‘England’s 1000 Best Churches’ as “one of the masterpieces of medieval art” and was awarded a 5-star rating.