U3A Photograph Album 2020

Return to Home Page

This Page contains Photographs taken of Group activities in 2020


Craft Group

Out and About

Ramblers


Craft Group

At the Core meeting on February 6th The Craft Group led by Jane Cooper exhibited some of their work.

 

   

 

Return to Top


Out and About

On Thursday 12th March 22 U3A members visited the Birmingham Oratory, they were met by Brother David Sprong who guided the group on a tour of Oratory Church.  It is one of rtrhe most beautiful churches in the UK if not the world.

The Birmingham Oratory is a Roman Catholic religious community comprising Priests and Brothers of the Congregation of the Oratory of St. Philip Neri, located in the Edgbaston area of Birmingham. The community was founded in 1849 by St. John Henry Newman who was recently canonised.

The Birmingham Oratory was founded by St John Henry Newman on 1st February 1848. He was ordained a Roman Catholic priest in Rome in 1847. In Rome he joined the Congregation of the Oratory founded in the 16th century by St Philip Neri later known as the Apostle of Rome. The Oratory in Birmingham was first established in Maryvale, then moved to a converted gin distillery in Digbeth, and finally settled at Edgbaston in 1852.


After Newmanís death in 1890 it was decided to replace the first Oratory church with a larger building as a memorial to him. The architect E. Doran Webb (1864-1931) was commissioned and the foundation stone was laid in 1903. The church is built in a classical style which evokes early Italian baroque and is an example of Edwardian baroque architecture.


The church was solemnly opened in 1909, but had been in use for three years before this. It was consecrated in 1920. The new church was built on top of the old church, with the old church remaining in use for a time, before it was dismantled and the remains removed to reveal the new church.

 

           

 

        The outside of the Church          Bro David our guide 

 

 

 

The pillars are solid marble

 

  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Return to Top


Ramblers

On January 15th 25 members of the Rambling Group met at the The Fieldhouse Pub in Solihull.  Led by Barbara and Phil Hammonds walked to the Blythe Valley Business Park nature reserve.  Following heavy rain the day before the walk was muddy in parts.

 

Return to Top

Wednesday19th February 18 walkers met at The Boat Inn Catheine-de-Barnes and participated in a ramble led by Martin Richards.  Because of the recent bad weather (Storm Dennis) Martin planned the walk to be mainly on asphalt paths on a short length along the canal tow path was muddy.

 

Return to Top